Monday, November 2, 2009

The Music Has Gone Out!!

I so very miss those days in the late 1990s or early 2000s, when Channel V and MTV used to be what they are supposed to be - Pure and entertaining music channels!! The fact that I have seen Amrita Arora as a VJ, is proof to all of you Doubting Thomases, as to how long I have been watching these channels. Ah! Those days!! You switch on these channels, and you used to get to hear non-stop pure, unadulterated music....Be it Hindi Movie songs, Hindi Pop Songs, Western Rock songs, Hip-Hop..Old or New!!! The music used to be the main course on the menu, with the well-made comedy spoofs played out by the likes of the oh-so-talented Cyrus Broacha being the accompanying dessert. Come home tired from work, and switch on to either one of these channels to listen to all of your favourite music! Use these channels as a backdrop to any booze parties that you throw at your bachelor pad!!

However, to my horror, nowadays whenever I switch on to these channels - I rarely ever get to hear any music/songs. All I get to see is some bleary-eyed, foul mouthed guy or girl in some "reality" show. There has been a 180 degree shift in the way things are - Now the "reality" shows are the main course, and the music is the dessert! :-) I know that now we have Youtube etc which are more accesible and cheaper(in fact free!) means to deliver music to the viewers, and hence these channels like MTV etc have to try using these "reality" shows as a differentiator. Since these music channels seem to be doing pretty fine business wise, I guess viewership has not got adversely impacted. Hence, I said to myself "What the heck! Maybe there is some amount of a generation gap issue here! Accept it! Age with grace!" :-). So, I surfed channels and came across "Vhr" channel. With the channel belting out number after number of my favvvvvourite Western Rock, Pop, and Hip-hop songs, I sighed " Ok! Things are not so bad!" I am sure most of us would have had this queer feeling of "It cannot be so good! The bad news is hiding around the corner, to pounce on me like a rabid dog!" And lo!, there came along "South Park" on the "Vhr" channel...Grrr! Don't they already have "Cartoon Network"!!

Anyways, I have given up and have taken things in my stride. At least I have "Vhr". My friends!,I do not have any grouse against you for loving these "reality" shows. But pray!, don't we get enough of the "reality" dose in our day to day life?! I for one, pine for those "pure musical" days of MTV and Channel V!!!

I would love to see all of you send in your comments, on this interesting topic :-). Signing off for now - Catch you later!!!

1 comment:

  1. Saw this blog searching 4 Zero G

    U can't be more right mate , when i c those confused gendered /anorexic/ ABCD vjs of M n VTv
    it really brings out the animal in me ... music television is dead .. good thing VH1 (english)
    and 9xm(hindi) is still there and there is always Youtube n torrents ... cheers

    ReplyDelete